Pixar and Beyond! 3D Cartoon Cinema Thread.

I'm really interested in this film. I have yet to see it but I heard a bunch of really good things about it.

I first saw the trailer before the Force Awakens. A lot of the people in crowd werent to thrilled about the trailer at first and started boing it, mainly because it was like the 9th trailer in a row. But it got people laughing especially with the Sloths.

I like the fact that Disney is venturing back into animal based stories for their animation. Before the "Disney Renaissance" with musical fairytales like The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast there were a lot of anthro Disney flicks. I remember seeing Oliver and Company and The Fox and the Hound (the second film I ever saw in theatres), when they first came out, and of course you cannot forget the classics like Robin Hood, Bambi, The Aristocats, and The Rescuers, etc.

There was a lot of shakeup in Disney animation back in the mid 80s with Don Bleuth's departure; and of course almost everything he released was anthro based; Secret of NIMH, American Tale, Land Before Time, and All Dogs Go to Heaven to name a few, heck, even Titan AE had aliens that were basically furries.

Wotever the case, I do hope this is a trend and not a one-time deal.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

How would you describe its message in your own words, VHS?

Basically, one of the main messages that I feel is conveyed is that one should not be naive enough to think that everything could be perfect and that the world is either completely happy or bad. There do exists negatives, the main one being shown is racism, both in how an individual sees it, and how badly it can be used against people.

At the same time, I feel it also shows how despite how flawed the world is, you should still try to make things better, try to be things others would think you can't, fighting against racism and such.

At least that's how I seee it, though I'm a tad worried I worded it badly. Not so good at writing things like this, heh.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I agree that Zootopia is pretty cool. :)
In addition I guess that I can write that the movie has every typical important characteristic which everyone expects from Disney, as it would be an old school late 80s / early 90s cartoon with animals, but just animated mainly on Computers.
Not to spoiler anything, but I can tell you, that the movie has it’s emotional moments.
It’s made pretty cute, and it’s sometimes funny, and sometimes sad.
Like ILOVEVHS already mentioned, there is a message about racism and that people should accept each other more, no matter who we are.
It does not become boring during you watch it, and the plot of the story is partly
unexpected and very interesting.
I personally think it’s worth to watch it. :)
My Mother and I really enjoyed watching it. ^^

Iiiiiiii looooooooove this fiiiiiillllllm. I like how maturely and seriously it handles the concept of a world full of anthro animals. It's not some kiddy playground full of kiddy people doing stupid kiddy things (COUGHsonicCOUGH), its a living, breathing world. Also that scene on the train in the beginning was just perfect and I LOVE THIS FILM OKAY?

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, Prince By-Tor said:

I wonder how how they're going to write their way around Vanellope out of the game when she was unable to leave her game because she was a glitch? And wot about them leaving their games? Did the arcade shut down or something? Should be interesting for sure; look forward to it.

I always felt that the cameos were pretty non integral to the first story and the sugar-rush setting that eats up most of the script totally detracted to what this movie could have been. For example instead of having a humble minor “villain” (Ralph) trying to bring together some heroic video game greats to fight to fight some existential threat to all of the arcade, we got what seems to be an okay script that bought up some showy cameos to spice up Act One and to pull in more box office attention rather than enrich the gestalt of a story based on video games. Our beloved and fun-loving Sonic and his cameo for example was hilarious because he’s basically just giving a PSA about how you can die in other games (that is as awkward as Mario suddenly becoming your proctologist). xD

I really hope the second actually realizes the potential of a story that involves these various video game characters much like Marvel characters in an Avengers movie. But the internet theme could really muddle things further, going for breadth rather than depth.

8 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

I really hope the second actually realizes the potential of a story that involves these various video game characters much like Marvel characters in an Avengers movie. But the internet theme could really muddle things further, going for breadth rather than depth

You know what comes to mind concerning the plot to the second movie? Disney's Emoji Movie. 

On 11/28/2017 at 8:08 PM, WarTraveller said:

COUGHsonicCOUGH

You better be very specific on what you mean son... this is a Sonic site after all... 

*Lifts hand as people cosplaying as Sonic characters come from the shadows with torches and pitchforks. From behind creeps a Ugandan Knuckles with a ripped burlap bag over its deformed head readying a rusty chainsaw.*

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Why Lightyear Bombed At The Box Office, And What We Can Learn From It [Slashfilm]

"Lightyear" still has a way to go at the box office, but, as of this writing, it has earned $155 million worldwide against a reported $200 million budget. The big problem is that it has to contend with competition in the form of "Minions: The Rise of Gru," which is going to cut into its legs at the domestic box office. "Lightyear" opened with a soft $50.5 million, losing out to "Jurassic World Dominion," which was in its second weekend of release. This is on the very low end for a Pixar film and, even though it marked the biggest opening weekend for an animated film since the pandemic began, it's all relative in the movie business. The steep decline in its second weekend signaled things were going to go from bad to worse.

That $200 million budget doesn't account for marketing, meaning that the film probably cost well over $300 million all told. And, given that studios only see roughly half of the money earned at the box office after theaters take their cut, Disney isn't going to get anywhere near profit during the theatrical run of this movie. No two ways about it: this is not what Disney had in mind when they opted to get creative with the "Toy Story" franchise and gave the green light to this spin-off. 

"Get creative"? Sounds like a euphamism for "go Woke" to me 🙃

It's easy to see how Disney would be won over by the idea of a "Toy Story" spin-off centered on Buzz Lightyear, especially with the guy who played Captain America taking on the lead role. That allowed the filmmakers to craft a sci-fi adventure tale with some familiar imagery to anchor it. That seems like a hit on paper. However, in practice, it seems this is simply a movie that not enough people in the marketplace were clamoring for. At least not enough to get them to actually leave the house, pack up the family in the car, and head to a movie theater to go see it.

So are they admitting this was a movie nobody asked for?

As was addressed in Susman's comments, one thing that fans of the franchise seemed to be missing was actor Tim Allen, who is deeply associated with the character of Buzz Lightyear. Granted, the filmmakers have made it clear that Allen is the toy and Chris Evans is the character in the in-universe film. Still, the absence of the voice that anchored four "Toy Story" films was felt. It even generated controversy as actress Patricia Heaton said on Twitter, "Disney/Pixar made a HUGE mistake in not casting my pal Tim Allen. Tim Allen in the role that he originated, the role that he owns. Tim IS Buzz! Why would they completely castrate this iconic, beloved character?"

Reactions like this stirred the pot quite a bit. Beyond that, there was the matter of the same-sex kiss that was included in the film. Though a very brief moment, it caused a stir online with those who are against LGBTQIA+ representation in family-friendly films. Plus, Disney's decision to not censor the kiss in certain countries resulted in it being banned in Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, and other territories. The lack of ticket sales in those countries does add up.

While it may not be a number large enough to account for the lackluster box office overall, there is the matter of moviegoers who were upset by either Allen's absence or the kiss. Those who decided not to see "Lightyear" for these reasons may well have been a contributing factor, but certainly not the biggest factor.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Saberspark was being generous in his review of Lightyear; maybe it was because he liked Socks :D

The title pretty much says it all.

Lightyear was NOT Necessary...

I felt this was a film with Buzz slapped across it...

I think that is a big part of the reason the movie did not do well. It wasn't so much a movie -about- Buzz Lightyear as it was a movie the character was shoe-horned into. Saber also made a good point about how streaming has become the main venue for movies & it's going to be difficult to get people back into theaters. Movie theaters will somehow have to offer an experience viewers cannot get through streaming, or they'll be done IMO.

• 10 months later...

Pixar film 'Elemental' opens as studio's second-lowest box office debut [Reuters]

LOS ANGELES, June 18 (Reuters) - Pixar's animated movie "Elemental" took in roughly $30 million at U.S. and Canadian box offices over the weekend, the second-lowest debut in the history of the acclaimed studio behind the "Toy Story" franchise, "Finding Nemo" and other classics.

I'm not surprised. Movies these days focus more on being Woke than telling a good story :P

Analysts had predicted that "Elemental" would open with at least $31 million at domestic theaters. The $30 million estimate, which will be finalized on Monday, would rank just ahead of the $29.1 million for 1995's "Toy Story," Pixar's first movie. "Toy Story" became a global blockbuster that spawned multiple hit sequels.

The studio is looking to rebound from the box office disappointment of its 2022 release "Lightyear," the origin story of "Toy Story" hero Buzz Lightyear. The movie brought in an earthbound $226.7 million in global ticket sales, a fraction of the $1 billion take for 2019's "Toy Story 4."

The director and producer of "Lightyear" were laid off last month, Reuters first reported, as Disney shed 7,000 jobs across the company in a cost-cutting effort.

"Elemental" is set in Element City, where Fire, Water, Earth and Air characters live together. An unexpected friendship between Fire and Water borrows from director Peter Sohn’s relationship with his Italian-American wife, which he initially hid from his parents.

• 6 months later...

Um... Did A.I Write Disney's Wish??? [The Writer's Block]

Something doesn't feel right about Disney's latest Animated Feature film... Disney's Wish was supposed to celebrate the company's 100 year anniversary, but it seems to take all the wrong lessons from the extensive history of Disney. Today on the Writer's Block, let's dive into the 3 reasons Disney's Wish FEELS Like it was written by Artificial Intelligence...