Being Mobian: What would you you be? What would it be like?

TheRedStranger

2 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

Try and spice it up a bit, yeah. There's a million more animals out there. And different types like a Hedgehog as well. 

I dunno, just have to go for one that would fit my, uh, personality. Any idea?

2 hours ago, Mike Arcade said:

Good question, ehh I always saw myself as a Wolf years ago, but in recent times I'd either go for some sort of Feline like a Tiger, a Hybrid of a Feline and Canine, or a Ferret as some would say that fits me well. XP

You'd be a chipmunk - it fits your frantic impulsiveness and attention span. XP

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WarTraveller said:

I dunno, just have to go for one that would fit my, uh, personality. Any idea?

You know yourself better than I know you, bud. Think of your temperament, sociability, energy-level, physical inclinations, ect. That would help you get a more clear picture. 

51 minutes ago, TheRedStranger said:

You know yourself better than I know you, bud. Think of your temperament, sociability, energy-level, physical inclinations, ect. That would help you get a more clear picture. 

Right, so I need a creature who is very temperamental, not even close to being sociable, somewhat active and not very fit. This might take a while.

• Like 1

I actually, for the original run of HOA, did come up with a Mobian form for the Gamemaster.

In order to try to blend in with the crowd so no one would notice him (for reasons too complicated to go into here), I was going to have him use a power based on the Animal Affinity power from D&D Ver. 2.  This power, called Metamorph, allowed the Gamemaster to take on a form of what he would have been if he were a Mobian.  This form was...

...a skunk.  Named Alex Journeyman.

On 7/23/2016 at 8:21 PM, WarTraveller said:

Right, so I need a creature who is very temperamental, not even close to being sociable, somewhat active and not very fit. This might take a while.

What about a badger?  Or a Ratel?

15 hours ago, Ishapar said:

Honey Badger from Sub-Sahara Africa.  Known for raiding bee nests and being one of the most ferocious animals for its size (even lions leave them alone).  Basically a different type of badger.

Hmm...I'll see if I can make it work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/9/2016 at 2:01 PM, TheRedAuthar said:

I always find this the hardest question when designing Mobian/Anthro characters.  Because it ultimately will effect how the character is developed and who they are.  Do they abide by their species norms or are they a rebel who does what they want?  Are they a giant with a gentle soul or are they they annoying yippy-dog who thinks they can take on the world?  

Me personally I don't know what I would be, but if I could choose I probably pick a bat.  In the Archie-Verse they usually Ninja and with the collapsed clan system they're free agent ninja.  And in the StC universe we've seen them as inventors and warriors.  Overall the advantage of flight, advanced hearing, fair prowess and agility,  and apparently no problems with their eyes despite being bats, and the chance to be a ninja, bats sound like a good option to me.  Probably a fruit bat though....Vampire bat would open a whole new slew of meanings as a Mobian. 

I always thought you would be a chipmunk

I'd be a thylacine, because thylacines are awesome. They're a marsupial but have traits of both tigers and wolves. Plus, in a world without humans, may as well take advantage of a species that probably would still be around if not for human settlement. They also have an extremely powerful bite.

...Mobians might not be too happy with thylacines after one beat Sonic up. :P ...never mind the fact Archie's introduced one lately and of course he's a supervillain, whee!

Regarding Mobian culture and the like, I would presume they are fairly animist overall, like many pre-Columbian American cultures. Because many of those cultures felt that everything had a life force, it imbued them with a strong respect for nature that helped limit (but did not always eliminate; see cities like Cahokia falling due to ecological disaster) environmental destruction.

I would similarly assume most Mobians have an indigenous American take on war. Indigenous Americans generally did not value killing your enemy (hence why it was common for native allies to be horrified at how European armies fought); war was more about glory than killing (understandable, as there were plenty of resources to go around).

Political structures and economies would naturally differ, as these are fairly dynamic and develop based on each society's needs. While animist cultures often lead towards collectivism, this is not a requirement (see Japan, which has strong animist influences). Just as with human indigenous cultures, there would be a variety of political and socioeconomic structures. Some cultures would be matriarchal, some patriarchal, some equal, etc. The political structure would be dependent on behavior; a society frequently at war, for example, would likely have a King or oligarchy, wanting to be ruled by strong warrior types (note how real-world dictators frequently exaggerate a state of emergency to justify their continued rule). A society, at peace, on the other hand, would be more able to debate who is best fit to have power, and you would have everything from councils of elders to theocracies to full on democracies and republics.

Physiology would be rather straightforward. Just like humans, in exchange for their hands and brain power, they would have back pain and weak digestive systems, respectively. Other than that, I presume their anatomy would be largely similar to their counterparts in our world.

• Like 3

I figured I'd bite. I've always loved foxes and would hope that I was one as an anthro/furrie, but a lot of my friends say I'd be a squirrel, (basically because I play them well in RP and created a character that everyone seems to like that's a flying squirrel). All of them pick canines, so I pick on them and call them "the dogs" when the discussion comes up. :P

However, if I was going by my own body type and personality I'd probably be a bear; either a Polar or Kodiak bear to be precise. I'm large, a loner, highly territorial, and ill tempered if riled. I suppose a big cat like a tiger would also be apropos as well. I've also considered a rat at times because I match well on the intelligence factor. But anyway, that's my take as it would.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2016 at 9:02 PM, Prince By-Tor said:

I figured I'd bite. I've always loved foxes and would hope that I was one as an anthro/furrie, but a lot of my friends say I'd be a squirrel, (basically because I play them well in RP and created a character that everyone seems to like that's a flying squirrel). All of them pick canines, so I pick on them and call them "the dogs" when the discussion comes up. :P

However, if I was going by my own body type and personality I'd probably be a bear; either a Polar or Kodiak bear to be precise. I'm large, a loner, highly territorial, and ill tempered if riled. I suppose a big cat like a tiger would also be apropos as well. I've also considered a rat at times because I match well on the intelligence factor. But anyway, that's my take as it would.

I am going squirrel/Scirusian (the EoT term for those who do not know). It just fits your personality.

Now, if you want to join the Canidea Club with all of us distinguished Caniformic gentleman, you could always be a fox of your choosing. We are missing one for our Furry Equality Social Affirmative Action Qouta (FurESAAQ). If we don't have one King Max will take our non-profit status. xD 

• 3 weeks later...

In reality we don't get to pick our race, skin/hair colour etc; we can change them to some extent at this point, but you are who your parents are genetically and you will look like them and their ancestors. However, mayhap in the future we'll develop the ability to change those things and perhaps even give us animal/vegetable traits if we so desire. I for one would like to be photosynthetic; it would free up time for having to eat; just spend time in the sun to get energy. Wotever the case, in the future perhaps we'll be a planet of furries mixed with humans, who knows.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 8:59 PM, Prince By-Tor said:

In reality we don't get to pick our race, skin/hair colour etc; we can change them to some extent at this point, but you are who your parents are genetically and you will look like them and their ancestors. However, mayhap in the future we'll develop the ability to change those things and perhaps even give us animal/vegetable traits if we so desire. I for one would like to be photosynthetic; it would free up time for having to eat; just spend time in the sun to get energy. Wotever the case, in the future perhaps we'll be a planet of furries mixed with humans, who knows.

Or maybe we will just end up inventing Bio-weapons that turn us all into clones of Ken Penders...

• Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 8:59 PM, Prince By-Tor said:

The Mobian Revolution can't come any sooner can it? XP

That would be trippy though, I mean it would be interesting though if that was the case would that eliminate racism? I mean would that spark more such notions, and if everyone was a Mobian would there still be those bias both Racial and Cultural? I must admit such questions always come to my mind and have so for years, it's always something I've wondered. 

On 1/9/2017 at 4:56 AM, TheRedStranger said:

Or maybe we will just end up inventing Bio-weapons that turn us all into clones of Ken Penders...

You mean like the Pendertwan Pic you made?
I'd share it but I don't have the picture on me sadly.

• 4 weeks later...

Because they accomplished something significant in Mobias' past history.  In my story, Acorn's ancestor was responsible for many heroic acts that lead to the formation of their kingdom.  You guys could go with a similar concept.  It would parallel with stories like Redwall where a weak prey species becomes a hero which basically helps the rest of their species socially. 

12 hours ago, TheRedStranger said:

Let's focus for a second on why Scirusians (squirrels) seem to have become the dominate species socially in Mobius? Why do you guys think that is the case?

@Prince By-Tor?

@Sorzo?

In the real world one thing that is mistaken about squirrels along with many other rodents is that they are omnivores, not herbivores; they eat meat as well. These are mostly things smaller than them that they prey on, but they're know to attack and kill and eat snakes especially if their young are threatened; you can see many videos on YouTube showing this behaviour. Also they've been seen practicing cannibalism in extreme circumstances of famine.

Anyway, in SatAM we actually only see two squirrels on the show: Sally and her father. There is also another one that is a side-character Freedom Fighter that to my knowledge was never used. So, at least in SatAM there really isn't anything to support the ascertain that Squirrels dominate other species other than the fact the king rules Mobitropolis.

Now, if I'm wanting to entertain the idea that they actually are dominars of the Mobian race; I would see a few points concerning squirrels that could support it: 1. They are omnivores, which means that they would have a more varied and have a diet less dependent on one or a handful of sources. 2. Squirrels are fierce fighters and can hold their own against larger and deadly animals like rattle snakes. 3. They are actually quite intelligent compared to most "pet" animals and are shown to be adept problem solvers, and 4. They are good at gathering and storing perishable goods (which would probably be one of the main points); in times of famine those with food are kings.

On 2/10/2017 at 6:23 PM, Prince By-Tor said:

In the real world one thing that is mistaken about squirrels along with many other rodents is that they are omnivores, not herbivores; they eat meat as well. These are mostly things smaller than them that they prey on, but they're know to attack and kill and eat snakes especially if their young are threatened; you can see many videos on YouTube showing this behaviour. Also they've been seen practicing cannibalism in extreme circumstances of famine.

Anyway, in SatAM we actually only see two squirrels on the show: Sally and her father. There is also another one that is a side-character Freedom Fighter that to my knowledge was never used. So, at least in SatAM there really isn't anything to support the ascertain that Squirrels dominate other species other than the fact the king rules Mobitropolis.

Now, if I'm wanting to entertain the idea that they actually are dominars of the Mobian race; I would see a few points concerning squirrels that could support it: 1. They are omnivores, which means that they would have a more varied and have a diet less dependent on one or a handful of sources. 2. Squirrels are fierce fighters and can hold their own against larger and deadly animals like rattle snakes. 3. They are actually quite intelligent compared to most "pet" animals and are shown to be adept problem solvers, and 4. They are good at gathering and storing perishable goods (which would probably be one of the main points); in times of famine those with food are kings.

“The amateurs discuss tactics: the professionals discuss logistics.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

“The line between disorder and order lies in logistics…” – Sun Tzu

This is the main reason I personally think Squirrels (and seemingly Chipmunks like Rosie) seem to take hierarchical prominence and position above all others. I think it has to do with their ability to manage resources. Wars are fueled by the stomachs of men, furthered by gas in a tank, and accomplished by the bullets in guns, and maintained by the maintaince of strongholds against attrition. Through wars of positioning and attrition alone, an opponent like this could starve you out without even a fight, no matter how big and dreadful a tiger, lion, or bear you might be. It's easy to corner a predator with a piece of meat, but a creature that takes mastery over his own resources and has careful awareness of his needs is truly a force with whom to be reckoned. 

On 2/10/2017 at 0:52 PM, TheRedAuthar said:

this would imply the squirrels must have some sort of wealth or power the others do not.  Or perhaps they took the Kingdom from another and aren't the original founders.

A sort of Forerunners take? Perhaps it's like the first people to find that magic monolith that makes civilization Space Odyesse style? A fun thought to ponder and to consider. Ideas?

On 2/10/2017 at 5:42 PM, Ishapar said:

Because they accomplished something significant in Mobias' past history.  In my story, Acorn's ancestor was responsible for many heroic acts that lead to the formation of their kingdom.  You guys could go with a similar concept.  It would parallel with stories like Redwall where a weak prey species becomes a hero which basically helps the rest of their species socially. 

"And the meek shall inherit the Earth" is one my favorite themes personally. I think has a lot of allegorical value and I support you in that direction as well. What heroic deeds are we talking about here, exactly? Something like David and Goliath perhaps?